NHS Scotland is committed to encouraging equality and diversity among our workforce and eliminating unlawful discrimination. The aim is for our workforce to be truly representative and for each employee to feel respected and able to give their best. To this end, NHS Scotland welcomes applications from all sections of society.
We are seeking to appoint an enthusiastic, suitably experienced and qualified medical doctor as a Clinical Research Fellow within the cardiology department at University Hospital Crosshouse. This role will allow the development of research skills and production of data which the post-holder could use to develop a research thesis for an MD. It is anticipated that around 20 hours per week will be devoted to research activities. Commencing 2nd August 2023 for 12 months, in the first instance with a view to extend to facilitate a higher degree, this post will also allow you to develop your clinical cardiology skills.
The post holder will be required to undertake clinical duties within the Department of Cardiology, which will account for approximately 16 hours per week. The post will also entail participation on the middle grade medical on call rota and therefore the post attracts a 50% banding supplement. Excellent communication skills and previous cardiology experience are essential.
The post will offer:
1. The opportunity to plan, design and implement research projects or parts of research projects in conjunction with collaborators: including Professor Mark Petrie, (University of Glasgow) who has an interest in revascularisation in heart failure, interventional heart failure (including inter-atrial shunt devices for HFpEF), peripartum cardiomyopathy, microvascular disease in HFpEF, post-MI cardiac remodelling, iron and heart failure, cardio-oncology and Dr Richard Dobson, a consultant cardiologist (Univeristy Hospital Crosshouse) and electrophysiologists.
2. Experience in preparing research reports and it is expected that at least one manuscript will be submitted for publication in a peer reviewed article.
3. Clinical experience in cardiology including all aspects of inpatient and outpatient care. There will also be the opportunity to gain experience in echocardiography and cardiac device implantation including pacemakers and ICDs
4. Opportunity to build an excellent Portfolio for those who are intending to apply for National Training Number
5. Opportunity to publish papers and audits under direct guidance of experienced consultants
Candidates must hold Full GMC Registration with a current Licence to Practice. Completion of IMT training programme or equivalent is desirable. Possession of MRCP is preferable but not essential. Please note that this post does not carry educational approval by the Postgraduate Dean.
Membership of the Protection of Vulnerable Groups (PVG) Scheme is a condition of this post and the successful applicant will require to join the scheme prior to appointment.
Please direct enquiries to Richard Dobson, Consultant Cardiologist , University Hospital Crosshouse, Email: [email protected] or Dr Andrew Clark, Clinical Lead for Research NHS AA or Email: [email protected]
For further information including job description and how to apply please visit
Job Reference no. 138737
Applications are welcome from UK, EEA and non-EEA candidates.
As part of the recruitment process, you will be required to produce proof of your EU Settlement status from 1st July 2021 to demonstrate your Right to Work in the United Kingdom. Further information: https://www.gov.uk/settled-status-eu-citizens-families. Existing employees may be asked to provide evidence of their EU Settlement Status from 1st July 2021.
To apply for this job please visit uk.whatjobs.com.